Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Zhuhai City Social Welfare Institute

Through the yahoo group I belong to, I was able to get these pictures of Ren's orphanage. Once again, I am so grateful to the families who have already adopted children from Zhuhai SWI. Many have visited the orphanage themselves with their kids. These families are a wealth of information, support and PICTURES!

This is the entrance to the SWI:
From the 15 or so pictures I have, it looks like several buildings make up the SWI. This is the infant building: Here's a view of some of the little beds at the orphanage. It sounds like Ren is probably sleeping in a bed like this, not a crib, so we'll be setting up a toddler bed for him.

The SWI playground:

This is a photo board outside the SWI. I'm not sure if all kids who live at the orphanage have their photos there, or if only kids who have been adopted are featured on the board. If any of my Zhuhai friends know, I'd love to hear! I can't help but wonder if Ren is currently pictured on the board ...

The orphanage is moving in December to a different location so it's unlikely we'll ever be able to tour this place - Ren's home for the first two years of his life. Knowing this makes having these pictures all the more special.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Love the photo's..
Great photo's for Ren in his album..
Have a Great Week..

Unknown said...

Wow, these pictures are so great!! It looks like a nice place and I like his little bed too -- so cute. Thank you for sharing these pics with us :-)

Kath said...

That's great that you have pictures from this place before they move. It looks like a very happy place.

Shea said...

How exciting to see photos of Ren's home. It has a nice playground. You must feel some comfort to see photos of where your son is living.

Rae said...

Again, how awesome to have photos like this! It must feel wonderful to see the place where your new son is living and be able to picture him there.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Awesome pictures, Monica! I can just picture Ren out playing on all that fun equipment!!

Pictures like this are so valuable as we help to piece together the story for our children.

xo

Beckett Franklin Gray said...

You are lucky to have these pictures...I need to look into getting more pictures of our SWI. We adopted in 2001 and the building has actually changed.

My non-profit recently published a new book on Chinese adoptive parenting.

“The Dragon Sisterhood: A Guide to Chinese Adoptive Parenting” .

It can be found on our blog:http://www.dragonsisterhood.blogspot.com

I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing that with your readers.

Thanks!Beckett Gray

Emily said...

Hi, my name is Emily and I was actually adopted from Zhuhai SWI in 2007. I only just found out the orphanage that I was adopted a couple days ago. When I was adopted I was given a backpack with CDs that contained pictures and videos of me and other children in the orphanage. With a lot of research and looking with great detail in the pictures and videos, it led me to Zhuhai, and a picture of the entrance of the orphanage where I was able to find the name of the orphanage. I was so surprised that I was able to find it, given that China is huge. As I looked on the web to try and find more pictures of Zhuhai SWI, I found your blog. I am so grateful to have found this blog along with another child that was also from the same orphanage as me. Thanks.