Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in review

We had a really nice low-key Christmas this year. We've been so busy with trying to work on the basement that it was nice to stay home this year and just relax. We celebrated with close friends on Christmas Eve and then had Christmas day all to ourselves. We opened presents, played, had a Christmas morning picnic by the tree and fire, and then played some more. It was nice to celebrate quietly and really absorb our last Christmas as a family of three.
Claire had the pleasure of opening Ren's gifts. I tried to emphasize that once he's here, she won't get to open his presents anymore! Here's a picture of his loot, followed by a photo of an ornament I forgot to include in the first shot:
Most of the gifts are from friends and family. The little silver fortune cookie, though, is from us.

We gave one just like it to Claire too, when we were waiting for her. Ren's fortune, just like Claire's says, "You will soon meet your forever family who will love and cherish you always". Once, while dining together at a Chinese restaurant, my dad suggested to me with some degree of seriousness that if I didn't get into law school (which thankfully I did), I could use my English degree to write fortunes for fortune cookies! I scoffed at him then but who knew that 10 years later, that’s exactly what I would be doing - for my children at least!

My mom is visiting us right now, which has been absolutely wonderful. Claire is enjoying her company so much. With Mom watching Claire, I've been able to catch up on some chores around the house. I had such a productive day yesterday - something practically unheard of in my world lately!

Today is day 91 of our wait for our Letter Seeking Confirmation. Our good friends (and travel-mates from our 2007 China trip for Claire) who sent in their LOI a week ahead of us got the call TODAY that their LSC is in. Such wonderful news! I am so happy for them, and am feeling optimistic that our LSC should arrive somewhat soon too (though who knows whether the week that we are behind them in terms of our paperwork will amount to a week in waiting time - probably not.) At the moment, I'm not too stressed: just revelling in our friends' good news.

Tomorrow Paul and I are actually going to have some alone time! Mom is going to watch Claire while Paul and I go for dinner and a movie. I better sign off this post so that I can look up the movie listings right now!

7 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL Christmas..
Love all of Ren's gifts.. he will too.. the fortune cookie is BEAUTIFUL..
Have a Great Date with DH..
Hugs..
Kim

Shea said...

I love seeing Ren's gifts, waiting for him. I'm sure Claire was very happy to help! The fortune is beautiful. You always have such nice family photos.

I really hope your letter comes soon, too. You're on deck!

Happy date night! Enjoy your time with your mom, Monica.

Beth said...

It's nice not to have all that hustle and bustle of running everywhere and travelling. Glad it turned out so nice! I love the picture of all of you in front of the tree. The fortune cookie is a terrific idea. I don't think I knew that about Claire (or maybe I did and it's gone).
We SKyped with C&M&K today. I saw their news on the computer and wondered if she'd be there...and voila they were. So cool.

Kath said...

What a wonderful way to spend Christmas! So glad you're getting some couple time in too. Pretty soon you'll be so busy you won't know what lovely whirlwind has hit you. ;-)

Rae said...

Love the family photo. As always, you look so happy and relaxed and perfect together! It sounds like you had the perfect Christmas for a family of three!

Ren is obviously so very much loved already. What a beautiful fortune cookie, where did you find it? You always come up with the neatest things.

Maybe your letter will come when you're on your way to date night like two years ago when you were on your way to Jasper. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Waitingfaithfully said...

Love the pictures, and Ren's fortune cookie . . . and fortune! It shouldn't be long now, and you should be packing to go back to China!

Happy to hear that you had an enjoyable Christmas. Hope you had a great date!

Blessings~

Tina

Gigglestuff said...

Great loot for Christmas Ren! Can't wait for you to enjoy all the spoiling when you arrive!!!