Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Beijing Zoo

Yesterday we had a good time at the Beijing Zoo. They now have quite a few pandas (quite a few were brought in before the Olympics) and they were fairly active which was fun to see.
Claire had a great time running around. She was pretty entertaining for us and the rest of the group, I think. Ren was confined to the stroller for the entire event - unfortunately for him, but fortunately for our arms. He walks fine but with a fairly clumsy gait and he's not great with stairs; I am sure we'd never keep up to the group if we let him walk.

Our family with our guide, Vivian:

We toured more of the zoo than we saw last time. Last time, we pretty much only saw the pandas and the big cats. This time we also saw birds, the elephants, lemurs and monkeys. I'm probably forgetting some animals. Even more than the animals, I enjoyed seeing the Chinese families at the zoo. I saw lots of grandparents with little kids holding huge wands of cotton candy. You could tell it was a special day. We saw lots of little girls with fake curly hair: pigtails, ponytails, etc. Now Paul wants to get some crazy curly hair for Claire or else cut a lock of MY hair to use in hers. I think he's losing his mind. The kids are napping right now (it's Sunday at 2:45) so I'll finish this post now and will do another if I have time.

3 comments:

James said...

Nice to hear from you. Keep the posts coming. Looking forward to more pics when Blogger allows the posts. How is the state guest? Is it the same as last time we were there? Had any refreshments from the basement of the nearby store? Wishing we were there with you!

James

Shea said...

This brings back great memories! I'd forgotten how many animals they had. I just remember lots of walking. I'm glad Ren stayed in the stroller! I remember those little girl curls. But keep your curls, Monica!

Rae said...

Ah, the zoo. I was hoping to see photos of you at the zoo, it's such a great place. I'm glad you got to see more of it this time.

I can't imagine Claire in curls (or you missing some of yours!) but I know both of you would look lovely!

If you're at the State Guest as James suggests, can you check the lost and found to see if my camera and film are there? ;-)