Monday, February 9, 2009

Ren's last two weeks in the orphanage

In two weeks from today, we'll receive Ren. It's unbelievable to me that there are only 14 sleeps to go until we meet our beautiful son.

As we run around and prepare for our trip, Ren is spending his last days in the orphanage. I wonder how Ren is being prepared for what awaits him. I'm pretty sure the nannies have told him that he is about to become part of a family with a Mom and Dad but does he really have any concept of what that means? How could a two-year old in an orphanage understand that? I hope they have given him the albums of our photos or at least that they have looked through them with him, describing who we are. Are the nannies preparing to say goodbye to him? Will they tell him "Goodbye" and "We love you" and will they wish him well with his new family? I hope with all my heart that they tell him these things and more. Their words may not lessen his pain upon departure (or arrival with us) but perhaps they will help him process what is going on.

Preparations aside, I wonder which nanny or nannies Ren will miss the most. Which children? What games or songs? Which toys or what part of his routine? We do not know much about his routine at the moment but I hope to find out as much as we can when we are in Guangzhou to help him with the transition at the very least.

However Ren spends his last weeks in the orphanage, I hope they are good weeks, full of love and comfort. We'll offer the same on this side of his journey.

4 comments:

Gigglestuff said...

We will be thinking of you throughout your trip and hope the transition goes smoothly for you and Ren. He will be so happy to be in his new permanent home in Canada and with his new loving family. He is one lucky boy. xoxo

Martigan said...

Blessings for you all. I feel some sadness for what Ren will have to leave behind. I pray his life has been full of joy and love - as we know his future will be.

Cecile

Jednet said...

Ah to be a fly on the wall with him right now.....Such a bittersweet situation. They lose so much to gain a life with a family.

Only fourteen days. Unbelievable. I hope you get lots and lots of information about his life in China so that his first two years are not just a blank slate in the future.

Dawn

Rae said...

My heart is both breaking and bursting for Ren. He will feel such sorrow leaving the only home he has known but will soon feel so much love and happiness with his Forever Family.