Sunday, February 22, 2009

This is the day!

It is Monday morning here in Guangzhou and we will receive Ren sometime today after 2 p.m! I won't go into all the emotions we're feeling right now - I think I've said it all before. Suffice it to say that we're incredibly excited!

We spent a fun morning yesterday exploring a bit of Hong Kong: the Avenue of Stars overlooking the skyscrapers (obscured by mist or fog, unfortunately), and flower and bird markets near our hotel. Here are some photos of our adventures.

Claire thinks subways are fun!
Paul and another woman having her photo taken with Bruce Lee's statue cozy up. Claire's not too sure about this arrangement.

There's a gorgeous flower market near our hotel that goes on for blocks and blocks. The sights and smells were amazing.

Also near our htoel is a bird market. We knew we were approaching the market because of the increased bird song and the sight of people walking with covered bird cages.

Claire wasn't into the sightseeing too much yesterday. She kept asking, "We go to China now?" Wow, this kid makes more of a distinction between Hong Kong and China than I do! But we could tell she was ready to meet her little brother and start that new chapter in our lives. To that end, we boarded a double-decker train and journeyed here in the afternoon. We're now settled into our hotel (well, as settled as we can get in this standard-size room; this is no Galactic Peace International Hotel that we enjoyed in Nanchang!) and we're about to run a few errands before meeting our guide, Carolyn and Marvin and finally Ren.
Wish us luck!

17 comments:

Paige said...

Good Luck! I will be thinking of you as I go to sleep and praying that all goes well!

Rae said...

I am totally covered in goosebumps now and I honestly can't stand the excitement. I don't know how you even managed to type an update.

I know I've said this before, and will again before you arrive home, but we're so incredibly happy for you. We'll be watching and waiting for a photo of your happy family of four and can't wait to hear how Claire and Ren react to each other.

Happy Forever Family Day!!

Love,
Rae, Girard and Bryn

Sarah said...

Oh, there is nothing like the moment when a family is formed...FOREVER! Blessings to you and your precious new son.
Sarah

Gigglestuff said...

I am so full of emotion for you right now. Excited, anxious for your first sights of Ren. I look out of my apartment window at the misty mountain view and imagine that across the world you are waiting to meet your little boy.

It is 5pm Vancouver time, and I see that the Zuhai clock said 9am... You are so close now and I am wishing you the most memorable time. I'm so happy to hear Claire is excited to meet her new little brother. I hope she has a big hug and kiss for him to make him feel welcome <3 Massive hugs to you. xoxoxoxo

Auntie Kelley said...

Once again I have become emotional reading your blog. My stomach just experienced a wave of butterflies as I think how you and Paul are feeling right now. As I write this you may be with Ren already.....wow!!

Can't wait till tomorrow to see your new family photo!!! I will have trouble sleeping tonight!!
Kelley

Kim said...

Love the pictures..
Sounds like things are going well..
Can't wait to see Ren in your arms..
Hugs..

Waitingfaithfully said...

Monica, Paul and Claire,

Thinking of the three of you as you wait the last few hours, and of Ren as he leaves Zhuhai behind and makes his journey towards his family. Praying for a sweet union between the four of you. I'll be watching for the first sight of Ren in his mama's arms . . . I'm praying for peace in his little heart.

Blessings on your long awaited day!

Tina and family

Beth said...

Wow, you must have posted seconds after I checked last time! And here there are 7 comments already! No words really that I haven't said already. Can't can't can't wait for the post with the pic of all of you with Ren! Wishing you all good things as you take that walk (or drive) as three and come back as four.
Yippee!

James said...

I am so excited for you that I think I will crack open a Cab-Merlot in anticipation of the celebration. :)

James

S x 4 said...

All the best to you on this wonderful day. It is such a long jouney but today will make it all worth it - as I am sure you know!

Stephanie, Stephen & Shaleyn (now home in Calgary from Guangzhou for 1.5 years)

Kath said...

Sounds like you had fun in HK, but I'm with Claire; when do we get to see Ren? From the number of posts, it looks like he's got a big fan club already!

I imagine you are getting to know each other right now and filling out more paperwork! Have a wonderful magical time!

Karla said...

So thinking of you and of your family. We will be logging in regularly.
Karla and AnnaLeisa

Jill said...

So excited for you guys!! It is almost time!!

Martigan said...

OMG - it is 1:00pm there - you are almost with Ren! We are so excited.

Cecile

Rae said...

It's 2 p.m. there, I just wanted to send one more hug!

SKC said...

We can hardly wait to see the first photos of you as a family of four!!
Big hugs for you all!!
Sonya, Peter and Clarissa

Gigglestuff said...

Oooooh, it's 2:45pm China time! I hope all is going great. Thought I'd log in one more time to see if anything's new. I'm so anxious. I doubt you'd be posting anything within the hour of you meeting Ren...

Hugs to you!! Happy Forever Family day!!!!!!!!!!